Maine Attorneys Investigating Sexual Assault Claims Against the Roman Catholic Church Archdioceses
In recent decades, predatory priests in the Roman Catholic Church have been exposed for their heinous crimes of injuring innocent children and adults through sexual abuse. The emotional injury of suffering from sexual molestation can take decades to overcome, if ever.
Often, the survivor struggles with ongoing anxiety, lifelong depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other debilitating conditions. Over the years, the Catholic Church has paid out over $3.8 billion in restitution to resolve thousands of claims involving allegations of religious leaders sexually assaulting others.
It takes great courage for victims to speak out and identify the clergy member that caused them harm. If you are a sexual assault survivor and want justice, the compassionate network of affiliate attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, can help. Our caring team of legal experts will fight to protect your rights and provide a safe place to talk openly about what occurred.
As your legal representative, our clergy sexual assault injury attorneys want to listen to your story and take legal action now. We will use our comprehensive understanding of Maine tort law to present and win your case to ensure the sexual predator faces financial consequences.
Clergy Sexual Assault – An Ongoing Problem
In 2019, a plaintiff filed suit against the Roman Catholic Portland Diocese in a Small Claims Court seeking an $875 reimbursement for his psychological counseling expenses involving clergy sexual abuse. The plaintiff had claimed that a Biddeford Parish priest had sexually abused him over five years beginning in the 1980s when the victim was a teenager.
The sexual assault survivor had previously come forward in 1991 and reached a financial settlement with the Catholic Church. A decade later, Portland Diocese Bishop Gerry declared that clergy sexual abuse survivors who could receive reimbursement for counseling, citing that the Catholic Church had failed to provide children much-needed protection from predatory priests.
However, the small claims court judge stated the agreement between the victim and the church is not legally binding, and therefore the Court system cannot compel the Portland Diocese to pay. The court dismissed the case.
The Devastating Effects of Sexual Assault
Sexual assaulting an adult, teenager, or young child can cause lifelong devastation that negatively alters the victim’s well-being. Many victims who have been sexually assaulted can suffer from significant sleeping disorders, ongoing depression, substance abuse, self-injury, and suicide, including suicidal ideation (thinking about suicide).
Studies show that young adults and children victimized through sexual assault might develop negative eating habits, begin living an over-sexualized lifestyle, or engage in any form of risky behavior at nearly any stage of their lives.
In August 2016, the Roman Catholic Church in Maine paid out $1.2 million to six survivors of sexual assault committed by Father James Vallely, an abusive religious leader in Cumberland County. The settlement resolved cases of sexual misconduct occurring between the 1950s and 1970s.
One victim served as a Portland Diocese Saint Dominic’s Parish altar boy as a teenager. The survivor had turned down the Diocese’s previous offer to settle the case out of court in 1994 because it restricted him with a gag order from speaking out as a condition of the settlement.
Even though the statute of limitations had expired years ago, the plaintiff’s’ attorneys filed a lawsuit citing the fraudulent concealment statute after a letter by church officials surfaced a year earlier.
Maine Roman Catholic Church Diocese
In Maine, the Catholic Church is the single largest religious group of all faiths statewide. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland and its Bishop manage more than fifty-four parishes and twenty-two Catholic schools throughout the state (listed below). The Church provides services to thousands of registered Catholics living in sixteen counties.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland
510 Ocean Avenue
Portland, ME 04103-4936
Maine Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyers are Ready to Help
Our network of attorneys understands how difficult it is to speak out about what occurred by a shameful clergy member. We know the power the church chooses to push back, saying they have done nothing wrong. However, with Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, working on your behalf, you will never be alone.
We will work aggressively to ensure your shocking story will be heard before settling your case or while presenting evidence in front of a judge and jury.
Let us begin working on your lawsuit today by filing all the necessary paperwork before the state statute of limitations expires. Moving the process forward can help ensure no one else is ever sexually abused by a religious authority again. We will obtain a monetary recovery on your behalf while protecting your rights.
Contact us now at (888) 424-5757. All information you share during an initial, free consultation concerning your case will remain confidential.
All Maine Parishes:
- All Saints Catholic Parish
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
- Christ the Divine Mercy Catholic Parish
- Christ the King Catholic Parish
- Corpus Christi Catholic Parish
- Good Shepherd Catholic Parish
- Holy Family Catholic Parish
- Holy Savior Catholic Parish
- Holy Spirit Catholic Parish
- Holy Trinity Catholic Parish
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Parish
- Notre Dame du Mont Carmel Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of Hope Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of the Eucharist Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of the Lakes Parish
- Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Parish
- Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Parish
- Parish of the Ascension of the Lord
- Parish of the Holy Eucharist
- Parish of the Precious Blood
- Parish of the Transfiguration of the Lord
- Prince of Peace Catholic Parish
- The Resurrection of the Lord Catholic Parish
- Sacred Heart/St. Dominic Catholic Parish
- St. Agnes Catholic Parish, Island Falls
- St. Agnes Catholic Parish, Pittsfield
- St. Anne Catholic Parish
- St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Parish, Jackman
- St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Parish, Westbrook
- St. Bartholomew Catholic Parish
- St. Benedict Catholic Parish
- St. Brendan the Navigator Catholic Parish
- St. Christopher Catholic Parish
- St. John and Holy Cross Catholic Parish
- St. John Vianney Catholic Parish
- St. Joseph Catholic Parish, Bridgton
- St. Joseph Catholic Parish, Ellsworth
- St. Joseph Catholic Parish, Farmington
- St. Kateri Tekakwitha Catholic Parish
- St. Louis Catholic Parish
- St. Mary of the Visitation Catholic Parish
- St. Matthew Catholic Parish
- St. Maximilian Kolbe Catholic Parish
- St. Michael Catholic Parish
- St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Parish
- St. Peter Catholic Parish
- St. Peter Chanel Catholic Parish
- St. Peter the Fisherman Catholic Parish
- St. Rose of Lima Catholic Parish
- St. Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Parish
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux Catholic Parish
- Stella Maris Catholic Parish
Maine Catholic Schools:
- Ursuline Provincial Catholic School, Dedham
- St. Thomas Catholic School, Sanford
- St. Thérése of Lisieux Catholic School, Sanford
- St. Paul the Apostle Catholic School, Bangor
- St. Michael School, Augusta
- St. Mary Campus, Bangor
- St. John’s Catholic School, Brunswick
- St. John Regional Catholic School, Winslow
- St. John Campus, Bangor
- St. John and Holy Cross Parish Catholic School, Scarborough
- St. James Catholic School, Biddeford
- St. Brigid School, Portland
- Saint Dominic Academy, Lewiston
- Our Lady of Hope Catholic School, Portland
- Mount Merici Academy, Waterville
- Holy Cross Catholic School, South Portland
- Good Shepherd Parish Catholic School, Saco
- Cheverus High School, Portland
- Biddeford Catholic School, Good Shepherd Parish
- Auburn Campus, Auburn
- All Saints Catholic School, Brunswick
- All Saints Catholic School, Bangor